Historic Buildings

Ehlen Spiess & Haight, Inc. has been continually involved in the design of building additions and remodeling of existing buildings since the inception of the firm in 1966. Many of these buildings have included historic structures. Historic building additions and remodels require a special sensitivity to the spirit of the original design so that the architectural character intended by the original design and historic fabric of the building can be preserved. We have exercised this sensitivity on numerous historic projects including the following:

  • Biltmore Hotel (Montecito)
    Additions and interior remodels
    Reginald D. Johnson, Architect
  • Carrillo Hill Adobe (Santa Barbara)
    Remodel, originally constructed 1817
  • Clark Estate Carriage House (Santa Barbara)
    Seismic strengthening of two-story wood framed building
  • El Encanto Hotel (Santa Barbara)
    Structural condition assessment and schematic seismic strengthening detailing for 23 cottages and villas built between 1911 and 1970 and the main building constructed in 1918
  • La Patera Ranch Bunkhouse (Goleta)
    Adaptive re-use conversion to offices; code upgrade of two story wood-framed building
  • La Patera Ranch Carriage House (Goleta)
    Adaptive re-use conversion to Interpretive Center; code upgrade of non-habitable building to public assembly occupancy
  • La Patera Ranch Packing House (Goleta)
    Adaptive re-use conversion to Museum; code upgrade of warehouse occupancy to public assembly occupancy
  • Lotusland Main Residence
    Seismic Upgrade, adaptive re-use conversion to offices; code upgrade of wood-framed building and strengthening of stone foundation system
    George Washington Smith, Architect
  • News Press 1922 Building
    Sesmic Upgrade, shear wall addition to structural concrete frame and bracing of infill brick walls
    George Washington Smith, Architect
  • Ranch House (Carpinteria)
    Structural condition assessment of 1880's wood framed building
  • Santa Barbara Cemetery Chapel
    Remodel and strenghtening of concrete structure
    George Washington Smith, Architect
back to Portfolio